Friday, March 19, 2010

19. Start Early, Go Slowly and Reach Safely

From childhood everyone heard and enjoyed the story of Hare and Tortoise and now how many of us remember the moral of the story?

We almost forgot all those great classics imbibed into stories and educated most of us. Today being pushed practically impossible targets and always on calculators we need to slow down and if possible re-read those old classics which gives best clues for management.
I knew a company into some retail business for more than a century, who are always adept of the business, but expansion is relatively slow compared to new genre joint ventures who rapidly multiplied the stores and reduced their own margins. This is the reason, if you know the tagline,
You'll lead better if you slow down. You'll get more done, too.
It doesn't seem like it would be true. It doesn't seem like slowing down would get that much more done. But it does. Every day you do it, you will get more done. Every day you experiment with slowing down, you will understand the truth behind the legend of the tortoise and the hare.
The most important element of slowing down is to know that you're always working on the right thing to be working on at any given time. Business consultant Chet Holmes says that he and his clients accomplish that by making sure each day has only six things on the Must Do list. That list lets them slow down.
If I am on the wrong road, it doesn't matter how good I get at speeding down the road. It's still the wrong road.

I need to remind myself of this: Slow down and win. I need to take my sweet, gentle time. I want this conversation ahead of me to be relaxed and strong so that the relationship I have becomes relaxed and strong. So all day, it helps to tell myself: Slow down. Even slower than that.


Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence----- Albert Einstein

No comments: